- Lack of Markings Caused 2016 Fatal California Bus Crash, Report Shows March 30, 2017Federal investigators say inadequate highway markings caused a fatal Greyhound bus crash in California last year that killed two people and injured 13 others, including the driver. The National Transportation Safety Board said in a report Tuesday that the lack …Don Jergler
- The Similarities Between 2 Deadly Oakland Fires Are Striking March 30, 2017The similarities between two deadly Oakland, Calif. fires that occurred nearly four months apart are striking: Each involved a dangerously dilapidated building with an absentee landlord and renters desperate for affordable housing in the expensive San Francisco Bay Area. The …Don Jergler
- The Hartford Names Tooker as Head of Middle Market Segment March 30, 2017The Hartford has named A. Morris “Mo” Tooker, currently chief underwriting officer, as head of its Middle Market segment. Tooker remains chief underwriting officer for the company’s property/casualty businesses and continues to report to Doug Elliot, president of The Hartford. …Andrew G. Simpson
- California City Was Warned About Flood But Failed To Act, Officials Say March 30, 2017Water officials say authorities in San Jose, Calif. received several warnings that flooding was imminent but failed to evacuate thousands of residents who were trapped in their homes after a creek broke its banks. John Varela, board chairman of the …Don Jergler
- XL Catlin Adds Marlane to Its Environmental Business in California March 30, 2017XL Catlin’s environmental insurance business has appointed Denali Marlane as its Western regional underwriting manager in San Francisco. Marlane will manage XL Catlin’s environmental underwriting operations. She comes from AIG, where she most recently was a claims sales leader. XL …Don Jergler
Insurance News Net
- Comment on DOL Rule Generates Flood of Comments, Petitions by Super Grover March 29, 2017That's true----but this rule was entirely created by the previous administration.Super Grover
- Comment on Western & Southern Enters Pension Risk Transfer Business by W R (Bill) Murphree March 29, 2017I have a frozen DB plan that I would like for you to bid on for risk transfer...W R (Bill) Murphree
- Comment on Majority Thinks Self-Driving Cars Will Eliminate Distracted Driving by Chris March 29, 2017The idea of self-driving cars that require driver intervention seems contradictory. If human error is the cause for 94% of accidents, then it would seem that asking a human driver to intervene at a critical point is the worst case scenario. I know it is unrealistic to think that there will one single leap where we go from driving cars to self-driving cars - […]Chris
- Comment on Majority Thinks Self-Driving Cars Will Eliminate Distracted Driving by Jeff Neal March 29, 2017Would you still need auto insurance? Who would be responsible when the self driven vehicle is in an accident?Jeff Neal
- Comment on REP. JOHNSON STATEMENT ON AMERICAN HEALTH CARE ACT by Joe R. White, Jr. March 28, 2017Dear Rep. Johnson,From articles I've read, the healthcare law proposed by Paul Ryan was no better and perhaps worse than Obamacare which it was intended to replace. This is evidence that the GOP establishment is just as out-of-touch with the private sector as is the DNC establishment.I would hope that an improved healthcare law is currently in the works […]Joe R. White, Jr.
- Brussels hopes to reap further Brexit rewards after luring Lloyd's March 30, 2017(Reuters) — Brussels expects to lure other financial players after convincing Lloyd's of London, the world's largest speciality insurance market, to make the city its post-Brexit European hub.
- Brexit could affect nearly 3,000 UK brokers March 30, 2017The British Insurance Brokers' Association has said that the business models of nearly 3,000 U.K.-based insurance brokers could be affected due to the lack of a clear agreement on cross-border trade following Brexit."
- Fraction of $3 billion in drought losses insured: Swiss Re March 30, 2017Swiss Re Ltd. has said that drought in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu in 2016 caused $3 billion worth of damage."
- Cyclone Debbie causes tens of millions worth of damage to sugarcane industry March 30, 2017Cyclone Debbie is likely to have caused "tens of millions" of dollars worth of losses to the sugarcane industry in Queensland, Australia, after damaging 25% of the state's crop."
- Aviation industry struggles to cope with cyber security concerns March 30, 2017The European Aviation Safety Agency has set up a European Centre for Cyber Security in Aviation to address cyber threats, but the aviation industry faces legacy issues and challenges to bring together stakeholders."